Sunday 25 November 2012

The Exhibition!


 So the exhibition has been and gone and personally I found that it did not go as well as we all had planned. Everybody had their work on show , and you could tell that they worked really hard on what they wished to show but the thing was , there were hardly any visitors!

The fact that the location was in Mumbles and that there was poor weather really dampened the mood of the whole exhibition. I believe that if we were to do this exhibition again that we would have it in the centre of the town, I felt very frustrated as I worked very hard on my work and not many people had seen it!  The mumbles yacht club was in isolation to the actual mumble village and the inside of the club was to big for our exhibition.

However, despite the exhibition not being to expectation, I was really fascinated in everybody else's work so I went around and took some photographs of the work!


My work consisted of a small gallery space of uncontrollable weather in a confined space. I wanted to portray the importance of the weather to sailors, so by creating a cycle of different times of the day through photographs it shows what weather the sailors may get in contact with when out to sea. As the weather is so unpredictable, I thought my idea of using a confined space, making things smaller from looking through the telescopic peep hole, that it would give an idea of the weather looking unimportant to the eye.
 

Hannah Johnson's project focused on Sites around the Mumbles area. She wanted to show the unusual sites of mumbles by documenting them in a post card form. I found this project really interesting as there was so much effort put into it. As postcards are a common item to see around the mumbles area , I really like how she has combined postcards with her own images. 


Malin Linstrom's work was quite confusing at the start as there were no photographs involved in the project. After a little explanation I understood that it was all about the pollution and belongings that are left on the beach. The items that she had found down the beach were very peculiar and interesting. I believe that this project would make more sense if photographs were used as this is a photography project. 


Kieran's project focused on the steel works at night in Port Talbot and was to document the difference between there and the mumbles. As there was thirteen photographs in total, I kind of turned the project into a game to see if I could find all the photograph, which did got me very interested into the project. 
  
 

Rebecca Crocker's work was really interesting and creative and I could tell that she put a lot of effort into her work. Her work was based on the mumbles beach and documented the location and also the people. In some of the jars she included sand, leaves and other random items from the beach. I really like how she used battery powered candles to light up the installation pieces, it gave a homely feeling to the whole project.

Overall, I have found everybody's work interesting and I believe that it has all combined very well for the exhibition.










No comments:

Post a Comment