Monday 12 November 2012

Research #2

I am really interested in using landscape photography rather than portraiture as I found that I wanted to work in a field where I could improve and that I could have a challenge. I am still very enthusiastic about my idea of using a wooden box and a porthole as an installation piece, but I have to think very clearly on what type of photographs I should consider taking as they would most definitely have to specifically bind with the yacht club. 

As the Mumbles Yacht Club is obviously by the Swansea Coast , I have the idea on possibly taking photographs of seascapes and putting them in the box.  Yes, it maybe the most obvious choice due to the yacht club being all about the sea but I will definitely shape the project up more so that the photographs do not look repetitive or boring to view.  With all this in mind , I have decided to research some seascape photographers.

Mike Dawson 

With Mike Dawson's work I was very interested that he had used a slow shutter speed throughout his work to give the sea a more 'peaceful' look. I really like how he has focused on the sun setting amongst the sea, it gives a really serene colour cast throughout the photographs. By looking at Mike Dawson's work it has really interested me on how different types of weather can produce different types of photographs and as sailors depend on the weather I believe that that would make a great documentation photography piece for my project, rather than just taking photographs of the scenery. 





The photographs from the series I was looking at most definitely appeal to me the most as they document the different forms of weather through the movement of the sea. The detail throughout each photograph has been carefully thought out so that it gives the emotion of serenity and calmness. The main feature that I am really interested in are the cloud formations and also the weather within the photograph, the fact that these three photographs and similar but also different in many ways allows me to look deeply into how to experiment with the different times of day, different weather conditions and also the camera settings. 

Mike Dawson has been a photographer for over 30 years now and has a high interest in  landscape photography.

'I am in search of images that best capture the beauty of the moment'

This quotation is very inspiring as I really do want to capture the beauty of the moment as best as I can, by photographing the beach at different times of the day and documenting the different weather casts it will allow me to share my interest to the public through my installation. 

photographs & quotation from: http://fineartamerica.com/profiles/mike-dawson.html?tab=artworkgalleries&artworkgalleryid=9335

No comments:

Post a Comment